Celebrity Edge, the first in a new class of ships for Celebrity Cruises, was revealed to the media today in the equally new Innovation Lab at RCL headquarters in PortMiami.
RCL Chairman and CEO Richard D. Fain called Edge “transformational” and “a new baseline for ships from here on out.” The first of those transformations was the design process itself – Edge was entirely planned in 3D virtual reality, the defining feature of the Innovation Lab.
Edge is Celebrity’s first new ship class in a decade, and drew on the skills of an international team of designers, including noted interior designer Kelly Hoppen, visionary architect Tom Wright and American designer Nate Berkus. The result is a stunner, featuring industry-first amenities including:
- The Magic Carpet, sure to become the Edge class signature feature. The size of a tennis court, it will ride on vertical rails mounted on one side of the ship, serving by night as a specialty restaurant beside Deck 16, and by day making stops at three other levels. The lowest is Deck Two, just above the water’s edge, where it will operate as a destination embarkation station tended by sleek new launches to take guests ashore. The launches will serve double duty as lifeboats.
- More than twice the number of available suites, including top-of-the-line, 2,600-square-foot Iconic Suites situated above the bridge and featuring two bedrooms and two baths.
- Six split-level Edge Villas, a new style of luxury suite equipped with a private terrace and plunge pool, and direct access to the adjacent Retreat Sundeck.
- Two Penthouse Suites with soaking tubs on their veranda, dual walk-through showers and walk-in closets.
- Staterooms that are 23 percent bigger than those Celebrity Solstice class ships and equipped with an “Infinite Veranda,” which like the more familiar infinity swimming pool, tricks the eye into thinking it meets the water’s edge.
- A new category of stateroom for those who choose to travel alone. The Edge Single Stateroom with Infinite Veranda is scaled for the individual traveler and offers all the same amenities and services as a double stateroom.
- The latest in stateroom automation enabling guests to precisely adjust almost every comfort feature – lighting, shades, temperature and service –using a simple touch screen.
“Our guests don’t want to just skim the world like a magazine,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Celebrity Cruises President and CEO. “They want to feel a human connection with it.” Every element of Celebrity Edge is meant to make that connection intense and unforgettable. Our new class of ship will allow guests to experience their journeys with the uniqueness and sophistication that marks the rest of their lives.”
Celebrity Edge will homeport in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., making her first sailing December 16, 2018. Bookings are now open at www.celebritycruises.com/edge, or through a travel agent, for the ship’s two 7-night itineraries.
The revolutionary new ship will be joined by three sister ships in 2020, 2021 and 2022.